Sunday, February 5, 2012

PERSEVERANCE

In any fitness challenge there are bound to be days where you just feel like GIVING UP. This morning was one of them.

Roll back the clock...

I kicked off my Saturday with a killer BodySlam class - an intense circuit of weights and plyos. SHATTERED and SORE.

My gym sesh was followed by brunch at Perks at Garden City with my gorgeous fitness bunnies. I had the usual - Soft poached eggs on gluten-free bread (no butter) with sauteed spinach, mushrooms and grilled tomato. Yummo! .... The girls were having a 'naughty' breakfast, so I indulged in a few mouthfuls of toasted Banana Bread and Banana Pancakes. DELICIOUS.

After brunch was a mad rush to whip up my famous Mexican Dip:

Bottom layer: Fat free re-fried beans mixed with salsa (hot), taco seasoning, fresh tomato, capsican and spanish onion.
Middle layer: sliced avocado
Top layer: EXTRA lite sour cream (I've been told that lite greek yoghurt works well too... and saves extra calories) sprinkled with finely chopped tomato, capsican and spanish onion.

Served with wholegrain rice crackers (gluten-free) and/or corn chips.

The reason being I had my girlfriend Berties' 42nd Birthday BBQ to go to. And what a fabulous arvo, evening... and night we had! Great company, great conversations and a lot of laughter. I really didn't want to leave but by the time 11pm rolled on I was thinking to myself get your arse home, you have to run KP Stairs in the morning!

Food wise I had eaten:
Some good stuff - Greek salad, lamb and prawns
Some ok stuff - Mexican dip with rice crackers
Some not so good stuff - a snag and a half

By the time I had got home my stomach was feeling a little off. FYI, i don't digest dairy and gluten very well, I get bloated, get a runny nose, retain a shit load of fluid and have like ZERO energy. So for that reason I stay away from those foods 90% of the time.

I got to bed after 12am. Alarm went off at 5.45am and I felt like i'd been hit by a truck. Decided to snooze for another hour. I woke up feeling sooooo lethargic, looked in the mirror and all i saw was bloat and that dreaded fluid retention. I looked smooth, felt heavy and honestly, I felt like SHIT.
I even considered NOT doing the stairs because I didn't want anyone to see me looking like this (in hindsight, no one would probably noticed a difference lol) and thought about just going for a walk instead. It was like in one split second - a moment of self doubt, my whole world had came crashing down. There was a little voice inside my head whispering that I had fucked up all this hard work so why not just take a day off training and buy something 'naughty' to eat just to make me feel better.

So after moping in my own self pity for half an hour, I made myself a coffee and told myself to GET A GRIP. This was just a test of my own mental strength and determination. I reminded myself that the bloat will pass so just GET OVER IT AND GET ON WITH IT.

And with that i hopped in the car and drove over to Kangaroo Point ... Then I kicked some serious arse. I took 27 secs of my PB - 21.08min!! and then did 3 bonus sets! So i'm up to 13 sets now. FUCK YEAH!

I'm still feeling bloated and my legs are DEAD but mentally I am back in the land of POSITIVITY.
Now time to kick back, relax and watch another epidsode of Spooks. I seriously addicted to that show.

Have you persevered lately when the going got tough?

No comments:

Post a Comment